Checking for Corruption

In regard to last weeks post, and a few good suggestions in the comments, the launcher and video mode changes now only comes up when needed. The first time the game starts you’ll see the launch dialog and options to change video mode. If the game starts and exits properly, you’ll never see it again.

If the game crashes or doesn’t shut down properly, the dialog will be shown on the next run of the game. You also be able to bring the launcher up manually by holding CTRL while the game starts, using the command line parameter ‘/launcher’.

I made a few other changes to some of the video system. The game now allows the windowed mode to be resized to any desired size, and keeps track of the location of the window so that it comes up in the last place it was when the game was shut down.

The field of view for extremely wide aspect ratios now works properly – something that had to be fixed for variable size window sizes. This also allows 32:9 or 48:9 multi monitor displays to work properly. There’s certainly more that could be done for super wide displays in terms of user interface elements, but that’s fairly low on my list of things to do.

SuperWide

I’ve also been fixing some errors that occur due to corrupt save games. I’m not sure exactly how this happens – the power goes out and the file write doesn’t finish? Something weird happens and bytes in the save game are changed? I guess something timing related and unexpected can happen, like auto save is occurring in one thread, and another thread or the main thread crashes at the same time.

For extra security, I may also change the save system to output to a temporary file, and then issue a move command once the write completes successfully.

Either way, a corrupt save game causes the save/load dialog to crash. So now extra checks and CRC computations are made to make sure files save games aren’t corrupt to the point that they can’t be loaded.

Corrupt

This issue can also occur with the file that is output that changes the display of the main menu to the last viewed scene when the game quits so I’m working on fixing this as well.

The rest of this week and next I’m going to be tackling the some of the reported game play bugs and hopefully try to get a proper update out soon after that. After that update I’ll be working on getting the mod kit out.

Jason Satterfield
    April 16, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks for this update!! It was very refreshing to see a short update on what’s next.

Jason
    April 16, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for the update Dukus! I’m looking forward to the starvation bug fix so I can concentrate on fine tuning my town.

Cheers!
    Jason

jasonrubik
    April 16, 2014 11:08 am

What are the steps to download the new version if it is, in fact, available?

Thanks for the update Luke!

Pam
    April 16, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for keeping us updated! Looking forward to that mod kit!

Drusek
    April 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Other reason for corrupted files(saves): damaged/broken RAM or HDD cable.

mrbisonm
    April 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Myself, I don’t have any problems whatsoever playing the game, never had, not even once. Never had a crash, all my games save correctly and some files are terribly big, especially when you have 3000 villagers…. Everything is working 100%. (besides those darn builders and farmers that never finish their job) lol.
    I don’t why, but maybe it is that my Game computer is an older model from 2008 and has simpler programs and drives.(WinXP) I love the game as it plays and function for me, so I can’t complain! But I can’t wait for the modding tool though. ;)
    Fred

dbrigleb
    April 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Is Steam updating? I’m still seeing 1.0.1 and it still behaves the same. I have it set for DX9. My card id an Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti.
    It blanks out the screen momentarily every few minutes.
    If I run from my laptop everything is fine.

Umbrance
    April 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Impressive game you made… :) Good job, pal

April 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks for the update. Nice to see the changes to the launcher. I like them!

Peter
    April 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Still waiting for multiplayer. I will buy it only with MP.

Noah
    April 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Not really had any of those problems, but it’s just nice to see that project still in motion.

Josh
    April 16, 2014 5:24 pm

We need a Mac Version ASAP!!!

Zae
    April 16, 2014 6:53 pm

@jasonrubik see:
    It will guide you to the newer version.

Lisa Pham
    April 16, 2014 8:41 pm

“display of the main menu to the last viewed scene when the game quits”
    I love how it does that… I just noticed it for the first time this morning and was like.. ‘WOW’ :)

I’ve not had any issues except a few in-game crashes, but it’s not that big of a deal because all I lose is 5 minutes of play at most.

Thanks for a great game. :D

John
    April 16, 2014 9:46 pm

@Josh: You can play on OS X by using Winery or CrossOver or files from PaulTheTall. Must switch to DX9

John
    April 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Any updates available for non-steam purchases?

Claude DAVID
    April 17, 2014 12:32 am

Hi,

I hope you will tweak many behaviour bugs of our little settlers too.

Anyway, thanks again for that little gem !

Chris
    April 17, 2014 4:23 am

i´m looking forward to play the game in window mode in the perfect size :-)

Great work!

Zae
    April 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Please don’t fix the display of the last viewed scene. It adds even more charm to an already charming game!!

Hunter12
    April 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Add wolves or bears and village guards. As it is, the settlers must have been banished to some kind of hippy land.

Gets boring after about 25 hours of gameplay.

Frank Spencer
    April 17, 2014 10:15 pm

@Hunter12: Then you have ADHD or something. I have played this for 50 hours and still want more. I haven’t even done 50 percent of the challenges.

This game is simple and effective. Fighting is for wimps really, play AOE for that. This is a Survival game.

Sisquo
    April 18, 2014 4:08 am

Great news, no stress, make it beautiful!

Serial T.
    April 18, 2014 8:21 am

Is the Humble widget version getting updated soon? Banished plays perfectly on my main gaming rig but my laptop has a few video related problems.

Lloyd
    April 19, 2014 8:46 am

I did the DX setup and now have audio AWESOMENESS.
    I love this game, so does the wife.

I’ve only had the odd crash which is no big deal whilst in window mode AND tonight I found the don’t pause the game when out of focus so I am SO SO happy.

Off to load some ones saved game and try to keep it from dying.

Hannah
    April 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Non-steam updates?

Alexandru
    April 20, 2014 3:21 am

You’re a genius!

It’s a brilliant game!

Tnx a lot!

d0m
    April 20, 2014 7:45 am

Hey, my steam game didnt update, its still 1.0.1 build 140227

Tco
    April 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Already fixed that people use the expensive hard to get coal instead of firewood?
    (or an option to prevend it from being used for making fires)

epik
    April 23, 2014 12:40 pm

top lel i paid top dollar for this for a “promised” mod tools

you are the cancer that is killing indie games go kill yourself

Marky
    April 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Please tell me the above comment was a joke? it was, right?

Hiei-
    April 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Seems you wouldn’t be enough smart to use a mod tool, seeing how smart is your comment.

Especially when you don’t seem to know how to read properly, as it’s said in the news that it’s the next thing he’ll work on.

Hiei-
    April 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Quote from the news : “After that update I’ll be working on getting the mod kit out.”

Sharawa Master
    April 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Can’t wait for the mod kit to be available. keep up the good work

Gens
    April 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Thank you!

Ignore all the ingrates who said you abandoned them and demanded more. Egg. on. face.

Lisa Pham
    April 25, 2014 12:39 am

epik, go play something else…. your trolling is not wanted in here.

Seola
    May 1, 2014 2:12 am

Hmm Gens. Still the original release for non-Steam. No egg on our faces. We don’t have anything yet and as I understand, only one minor update (that hasn’t addressed the major bugs) on Steam. Lots of “I wills”. Interesting that a week after your comment – everyone is still waiting.

BTW, it’s not being an “ingrate” to pay full price for a game that doesn’t work for some people and expect the way to make it work would be FIXED so you can get what you actually paid for. I still have my doubts. The list of promises keeps growing, but no one has seen a result. I’ll be more than thrilled to eat my words or get “egg. on. face.” when the time comes, because it’s certainly been more than long enough to fix a game that was purchased as a release, that is unplayable or bugged to a point the game kills itself without any input from the user.