New Stuff!

After a bit of engine retooling, woodworking, yoga, a foray into programming language design, and trying to figure out what the next game will be, I’m happy to say I’ve chosen a design and am actively working on a new project. It currently has lots of temporary artwork that took less than 10 minutes to make and lots of debug rendering.

After making Banished I had so many ideas for new games it was hard to pick what’s next. But given that a lot of the game ideas had similar requirements, I spent some time updating the game engine to have some of the features I’d need. Anything in Banished that could be reused I refactored to be generic, if it wasn’t already. I made a lot of additions as well, preparing for multiple prototypes of various designs. I also tried to make some changes that would reduce programming workload and decrease the introduction of bugs.

Now that I’ve chosen and am working on a specific project, I’m finding that trying to make generic systems in isolation isn’t really a good thing in practice. I violated the KISS and YAGNI principles for a bit, and there’s a price to pay. Without a specific goal it’s impossible to have actually designed things in a way that is fully useful. So most of the things I wrote and refactored need more refactors, additions, and removals. Hmmm.

As an example, I built a wonderful terrain generator that allows me to create giant 250sq km landscapes, control where mountains, oceans, plains, and rolling hills are placed, rivers are generated that flow properly, erosion is performed, and it the results look great. But I don’t think I’ll be using it in its current form. There are some great concepts in it and I learned a lot, but it’ll take a ton of rework to be useful for a specific game.

Unsurprisingly in writing Banished, creating good code for the game as it needed it, and only refactoring the code when things got messy resulting in some great generic reusable systems. 65% of the code from Banished is getting reused. And as I continue to put together the beginnings of a new game, that amount is going up as I find things to pull out of Banished for reuse.

Writing a game engine really needs a game to go with it. Otherwise I’m just guessing.

Now back to programmer art and putting a new game together. More to come!

David
    September 19, 2018 10:14 am

Hurray, keep us informing about your next project!

Shinji170981
    September 19, 2018 10:20 am

Great to hear.
    I really enjoyed Banished all this time, but I always wished to play it together with friends.
    If your next game will be similar to Banished, do you see any possibility for coop in it. I would really enjoy that.

Looking forward to future updates

Shinji

Dan
    September 19, 2018 10:20 am

I’ve loved Banished since your very first sneak peek. Do you have an Indiegogo for this new project? Many of us would love to support this new adventure!

Geoff
    September 19, 2018 10:24 am

Very exciting! Thanks for the update.

TaRan Wilson
    September 19, 2018 10:25 am

Banished was a great game. I’m very excited to hear what your new game may be.

Jonathan Droogh
    September 19, 2018 10:27 am

I really enjoyed Banished and I can’t wait to see how your new game looks and plays! Exciting stuff.

Nikolaj Hansen
    September 19, 2018 10:28 am

Yay! This is amazing news, and I’ve played Banished A LOT with many different mods as well. 😀 I love the game and still seem to go back to it again and again.

I’m excited to see what game you start creating and will follow along on this new journey.

Dustin Ward
    September 19, 2018 10:29 am

Love reading your stuff. As someone who isn’t a programmer but is in charge of giving work to programmers, it’s such a great insight.

Bryan Roth
    September 19, 2018 10:34 am

I really love Banished. I can’t find a game similar that I like. I’m very happy to hear that you are working on something new. I’d be happy to be a tester.

Rob Nunya
    September 19, 2018 10:35 am

I hope lightning strikes twice for ya mate! Loved banished!

Liz
    September 19, 2018 10:36 am

Had so much fun with banished, I’m eager to see what you come up with next!

aquarhead
    September 19, 2018 10:36 am

Great news!

Absolutely agree with your findings of refactoring 🙂

Looking forward to your next game!

Michael
    September 19, 2018 10:37 am

This is the best news i have got all week. I love banished and would also like to see a coop added, keep up the great work. Thank you for making banished it is my favorite city building game out there.

efe
    September 19, 2018 10:37 am

Please blog regularly, I missed reading your posts!

Dan
    September 19, 2018 10:42 am

Yes! So stoked to see your making another game

Jason
    September 19, 2018 10:45 am

I was wondering when you would start work on another game! Glad to hear the news and I look forward to playing, testing and helping out any way possible.

J

Crocatowa
    September 19, 2018 10:46 am

You should look into how Tarn Adams (of Dwarf Fortress acclaim) for how he does natural terrain generation, depending on how indepth you want to go

Louis
    September 19, 2018 10:49 am

Great news to hear that you are working on a new project. Can’t wait to learn all about it.

Red Ketchup
    September 19, 2018 10:51 am

Hi Luke !

i am happy to finally have news !!!

It looks fantanstic even if you didnt really said what exactly this new game will be.

But please, this time, i hope you already decided if there will be mods or not from the beginning !!

I also hope you will think to fully integrated Building animations ! Real 3D Pathing (not 2D like Banished) More controls over the resources. Target specific resource items instead of targetting flags. Cut down the size of the tiles to alot smaller for better control (instead of 1 banished tiles, having 2×2 = 4 tiles for better pathing and controls).
    Please also, dont tight code parts into other part of codes (i.e. TP UI tightly linked to merchant code), ground merchants, allow research requirement if modders want, prerequiring….

I think you have a better vision now of what modders want to do and how far they can go with their ideas. If of course you will allow mods.

Hoping to have some news more often and soon. We are all excited !

-RedK

Martha C.
    September 19, 2018 10:52 am

I’m with Michael! Best news I’ve had all week. Job loss, Dad in hospital, etc. and then I get this unexpected email from Shining Rock!

Love(d) Banished so much…what a masterpiece.

Thanks so much for working on your new project and letting us all know ‘what’s up’!

Sébastien G
    September 19, 2018 10:59 am

This is great news!! Can’t wait to see what will emerge! 🙂

Zoltán Kurgya
    September 19, 2018 11:01 am

Yeah!

I wish you the best for your new journey!
    You’re a good programmer and your dev blogs are amazing!

Murphy
    September 19, 2018 11:05 am

Great news, can’t wait to see what you come up with

jakobvongunten
    September 19, 2018 11:12 am

The announcement of the year

Robson Rissato
    September 19, 2018 11:15 am

o my god…..tksssss

Adam Steffy
    September 19, 2018 11:19 am

Banished was a very impressive piece of software from a single person. I work in coding and there is no way i could do a fraction of what would be required to build a whole game.

I look forward to anything you create and will be spamming the ‘purchase’ button as soon as its available.

embx61
    September 19, 2018 11:28 am

Luke, thanks for the update about what you are working on next although we still in the dark what kind of game it will be. I hope modding for your new game will be integrated from the start with some more options for modders to change/add stuff.

The Banished community is still very active and new mods are still rolling out for Banished about each week.

I know you are busy with the new game but still hope you can join World of Banished to interact so once in a while with us over there. Even if you drop in once a month it would be an awesome gesture. But I also understand if you not want to do it and maybe you read sometimes over there incognito 🙂

I wish you the best with the new creation and wait patiently for more news about your new game.

lostraven
    September 19, 2018 12:15 pm

This is fantastic news! Glad to hear you’re continuing to learn, adapt, and build. Excited to hear about the new project as it continues to coalesce.

JJ
    September 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Awesome news! Looking forward to your finished product!

Martha C.
    September 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Reinforcing what Dan said…let us know if you decide to accept any funding on this project… indigogo, etc.

Many of us would love to throw some monetary support your way!

Mario
    September 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Hey, you are truely great at making games. But you alone can’t go far. Please found a company and hire developers so you can concentrate on the overall experience!

Cry Posthuman
    September 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Sounds and looks awesome! 😀
    Can’t wait for new stuff about your new project.

Byron
    September 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Woot! I’m so excited to hear a new game is in the works! Looking forward to see what you’ve been up toa

Eurofighter1200
    September 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Nice! Loved Banished hope this game goes in the similar direction. Please make an Early access

Scott Zuris
    September 19, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a billion things on my Steam wishlist, and more games that I bought than time to play them. But I always come back to Banished. And its one of the few games I play that has music my wife enjoys.

I can’t wait to hear what’s next for SRS!

Goblin Girl
    September 19, 2018 2:00 pm

I’ve been playing Banished since release day, and I’m still playing at least a few times a week. I’d say that’s a ridiculous amount of value for the $20 I paid.

I will buy any game you publish.

Dawn
    September 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi
    I love Banished, I watched every update and waited patiently until you finally finished it, so if the new game is half as good and fun to play as your first I will be happy.
    PS
    I am still playing Banished with the wonderful Mods from contributors so a big thanks to all you Mod creators out there also!

Alcator
    September 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello, I’ve asked this question numerous times, but never got the answer. Is there some plan to fix the issue in Banished that once you have over certain population (or city size), the game “slows down”, no longer being able to run at the expected rate with v-sync?

Latone
    September 19, 2018 2:38 pm

I am so excited!! I LOVE Banished and I CAN NOT WAIT to see what you do next!!

Ned
    September 19, 2018 3:29 pm

I bet that if you put you head down and begin developing M&B Bannerlord game you still going to finish it, before the originall comes out. )))

September 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Yeah Luke is back! I hope the yoga is nice. Peace of mind is the best there is.

The first thing that came into my mind after seeing the screenshot of the terrain is: Black & White, the god game from 2001! 😀
    That’s a good thing haha.

I’m curious what the future will bring and I’m looking forward to the next blogs, I always loved reading them.

zak 4862
    September 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Christmas is earlier this year! Hurray!

Jollychopper
    September 19, 2018 4:14 pm

This is very exciting news! I watched you develop Banished from very early on and really enjoy it. I look forward to what you come up with next.

OpblaasHaas
    September 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Awesome! The hype is real!

CarperGaz
    September 19, 2018 5:02 pm

I loved playing Banished.
    With RK’s lasted mod still playing.
    Maybe with the new version; look at what the modders added to the base game of Banished; with the view to see what could be added to the new Banished – to increase the variety and complexity – another thought research to get better at the productivity and upgrades for farms and production building.
    Would’ve to be a tester for this.

Conrad
    September 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Awesome news. Love Banished and really looking forward to the next installment.

Squizard
    September 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Was Pleasantly surprised to see you mention a new project. Might sound weird, but every now and then you would cross my mind and I would wonder if you were going to ever create another game. I was very impressed with Banished and still play it off and on to this day. Best of luck. Excited to see what comes next.

Kevin Dethlefs
    September 19, 2018 6:58 pm

As a developer (non game) I love your posts. Let us know what and where the next game is, and you’ll certainly have my purchase.

Demortes

Don Scopel
    September 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Good Lucy in the new project! =]

Paul Papp
    September 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Loved Banished.. cant wait to see whats next.. PLS make a Multi PLayer Building game this time!

JOSEPH D MATNEY
    September 19, 2018 11:58 pm

I am so happy to see yet another post! I bought Banished when it was released because I had enjoyed all of the developer posts so much that by the time the game actually came out, I figured I had already received my money’s worth of enjoyment.

I don’t know anything about programming, but reading your posts as you tried to figure out how to deal with issues like pathing and terrain and everything else was really enjoyable. I hope as you develop your new project you keep up the same pattern.

Thank you for sharing the process that went into creating Banished, and good luck with your next project!

vaen
    September 20, 2018 1:55 am

looking forward to reading more of these posts and see a new game take shape over time 🙂

Heather Clark
    September 20, 2018 2:44 am

Best news in a long, long while.
    According to the the above comments I’m not the only one who is happy, happy, happy…
    Looking forward to beta testing!

Craig
    September 20, 2018 3:47 am

Sweet – looking forward to hearing more.

Uridium
    September 20, 2018 3:53 am

Came into your Banished blog half way through, and enjoyed the game immensely. Looking forward to following this one from the start!!!!!

Nicholas
    September 20, 2018 8:36 am

Exciting to see you posting again. The your previous programming-heavy posts are really interesting to read and I’m looking forward to seeing more about your new game!

Nmid
    September 20, 2018 9:54 am

Wishing you all the best. You’ll see me getting your next game, whenever it comes out.

Helmuti77
    September 20, 2018 10:02 am

My grandchildren play now Banished, they are fascinated by the responsibility they have to overtake. It is really a great game and was a lot for us – the player – to learn by doing.
    Fine to read you have a new project in planing!

Ab Kranenbarg
    September 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Saint Luke is at it again!!

James Riggin
    September 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Of all the games I have ever played, BANNISHED is the game I always go back to. To hear that you are creating another or even a “BANNISHED II” is joyful news! I can just imagine the modders in our community are doing a happy dance right now. They are an amazing. dedicated group and have kept your original game alive and exciting! Good luck and we all will be following your every post, lol.

Quasimodo
    September 20, 2018 9:56 pm

I won’t mince words here. Banished was a game (when I first saw it) I grabbed and dove right in. To this day I find it necessary to set it aside, think, and continue on to keep my little community going. I’ve owned the game since it first came out and right now I have a lovely little settlement going bordering on a large village. Not a city to speak of just yet but it took me some time to balance everything to make things work. Banished is an unforgiving game that requires skill. Yes…skill. Think of what it will take to make a small group of people survive and build on that. I remember when the game first came out there were several people who commented “Why can’t you have wars or battles?” Are you kidding? Survival is the name of the game. I’m quite content not having to deal with ravaging hordes. All and all a terrific game and I would have to say ( being 61 years old) having started my first video game with Age of Empires and Sim City 3000…this is the best of the best. I salute the one and only developer Luke Hodorowicz for a terrific and constantly playable game. I’m rather excited to see what is coming down the pike next (as he promised something new is about to be developed). And Mr. Hodorowicz…I don’t mean to plug but if Banished fans want to do an ‘advanced to the future game’ I’ve found ‘Planet Base’ is ‘Banished’ being played on Mars. Thanks once again and enjoy!

Nathan
    September 21, 2018 9:37 am

Great to hear that you have now started on a specific project. I loved (still do) Banished and stumbled on your Devlogs very early on so seeing the game developed from the very beginning was just as entertaining.

I’ll assume this next project will be quite different from Banished but somewhat similar (if you get what I mean) but it would be great if it was a gridless environment (similar to how the game Foundation is).

Can’t wait to read the next update and very much look forward to what you will be making.

alex perer
    September 23, 2018 12:32 pm

The expelled the only game which it is interesting to me to play, but in spite of the fact that I have rather strong computer, more than 2000 inhabitants it doesn’t pull. my game weighs 8 gigabytes. Together with MM8 01 at me about 80 more spendthrifts. I hope that a new game won’t load so the computer. Thanks in advance for a new game!

Garth
    September 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank you for update and thank you for Banished. That was and is such an amazing game and brought me many hours of joy. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

Simon
    September 23, 2018 4:53 pm

OMG! I literally visited a day before this wondering if there were any news on your next game or Banished itself after watching a new lets play on YouTube.

Looking forward to seeing what you make next 😀

Dave
    September 25, 2018 5:43 pm

I’m excited to see what you put together!

Side note: that terrain generator looks cool. As a general map/terrain nerd, I wonder if it would be possible to release that as a standalone. It could be a useful tool among the D&D crowd.

aeseaes
    September 25, 2018 10:10 pm

\o/

Can’t wait to find out more.

As others have said, I would love to have the opportunity to support a new project of yours whether it’s Kickstarter or Patreon or Indiegogo or Fig. Do consider it!

bdochia
    September 26, 2018 7:08 am

It would be the best thing to find ourselfs in front of another game with Bansihed mechanics but with a smart evolutin tree to get you through the ages.

Rodrigo
    September 28, 2018 4:07 am

Excellent im waiting for it, good job and keep with the good work

Galadhril
    September 28, 2018 4:46 am

i’m always playing Bannished

the new stuff are welcome !

Gerry
    September 30, 2018 8:14 am

Banished is one of my all-time favorite games, I cannot wait for this new project to come to life. Great news!

Salamanderrake
    September 30, 2018 10:07 am

Fix your damn forum please, or take that banished money and put it to good use paying a mod and designer to fix it up.

Joe
    September 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Would be great if you could make the next game work with at least two people in multiplayer

elms
    October 2, 2018 10:34 am

I just want to say that while I’m looking forward to whatever you do next, one thing that I have wanted forever is a ‘world simulator’ that does weather patterns and river flow and erosion and stuff to generate a highly realistic map.

I would pay cash money for such a simulator, just by itself, with no game attached.

OneLastMidnight
    October 2, 2018 12:58 pm

Would love to see another builder type game. Banished is a fantastic game that I have and will continue to play for years and years. Continue the great work!

Jonna
    October 3, 2018 7:19 am

I’m soo happy to hear this!!
    I recently found a game that I thought was from you, cause it’s almost exactly like banished but with updated stuff and new features. But reading this makes me so excited!!! Cause even though the game was similiar to almost the same, there is no game like Banished!! <33

Byzanoid
    October 3, 2018 2:13 pm

Yay welcome back! I’ve been checking this page periodically for years, so imagine the excitement of seeing a new post!

So happy you’re getting back into it, and you have my support in this new project!

Paeng
    October 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Great news!

I still play Banished a lot, just love it… looking forward to what you are cooking up next!