Steam Workshop support is now ready for beta testing!
There’s a new Banished Kit required for using the features of Steam workshop. Version 1.0.4 Build 140925 Beta. If you’re not using steam, you can still update to the latest patch and download the new mod kit. You can get it all here.
If you already own Banished, then you can view the workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=242920. You need to be logged into steam to be able to see and use the workshop website. Until beta testing is complete, the workshop is private to Banished owners.
To use the workshop beta you’ll have to opt into the Steam beta, by right clicking on the game in your Steam library, selecting properties, picking the BETAs tab, and picking the 1.0.4 Beta.
I’ve tried to make Steam Workshop integration pretty easy to use. In the Mods menu in game, there is now a browser where you can see the latest and popular mods, as well as search for specific mods.
From the browser you can subscribe to mods and they’ll download pretty much immediately. If you use the workshop website to subscribe to mods, the mods will download immediately as well. After they download, the game will notify you that you need to reload the current assets for the mod to show up in the installed mods list.
For mod authors, getting mods on steam workshop or updating them in the future should be fairly painless. By viewing mod details in game, you can upload a new mod to workshop, or updating an existing one.
The main change authors need to deal with is adding a large icon for display in the steam workshop. A new field has been added to PackageFile resources to specify a jpg or png preview image that is larger than the 48×48 icon that the in UI uses.
If you curious as to what’s changed in this version, the details are below.
- – Updated to latest FBX sdk. This required moving x32 and x64 builds into their own folder since the dll name is the same for both 32 and 64 bit versions.
- – Added support for a cmd.txt file that contains command line parameters. cmd.txt must be in the same folder as the executable.
- – Added command line parameter /bin
that tells the game where the main /bin folder is located relative to the executable. This allows a single bin/WinData folder to be used along side the x32 and x64 versions of the game.
- – Added a new variable to PackageFile resources, ‘String _preview = “pngOrJpgPath”;’ This is a square preview image that is used when uploading mods to steam workshop. If not set, no preview image will be uploaded to steam.
- – Added Steam Workshop support. Mods can be created, updated, downloaded, and browsed in game. Any updates to subscribed mods will download automatically. A reload is required once downloads are complete.
- – Fixed tooltip text going outside the background boundaries.
- – Fixed combo boxes not displaying correcly after being enabled, disabled, then re-enabled.